Geary the Bakers of Ratby started life as one of four bakeries in 1906. By 1963 it had earned the title of “Champion Bakers of Great Britain” for the third successive year.
Before the 1950’s Geary’s was still essentially a local village bakery, however 1950 brought changes with opportunities to expand sales to other parts of Leicester, the introduction of sliced bread and bread machines and the development of the Rearsby and Warden loaves.
To view our history online (click here)
Copyright: Ratby Local History Group: 'The Story of Geary's of Ratby: 1906 - 2006 Champion Bakers of Great Britain' in 'The History of Ratby, Volume 2', ed. Doug Harwood, (2006).
Charles Geary began winning prizes for his bread whilst still a student in 1961 and eventually became British Champion Baker six times, today the bakery has won over 4,000 awards for its breads.
The competition successes of the 1960s enabled the business to expand into the wholesale trade with new machinery and storage facilities. By 1990 Geary’s had become the largest independent family bakers in the Midlands.
The bakeries were moved to new one million pound purpose designed facilities at Barrow-upon-Soar, Leicestershire in April 2010 to double production and make it one of the UK's leading independent craft bakeries. The company today is run by the directors.
© 2017 Gearys Bakeries Limited. Site Designed and Produced by Agora Marketing Communications Limited